Brothers and Sisters in Christ
Any good story always needs to have a beginning, middle and an end; the same is true of the bible. To answer any question we have about life and how to live it, as Christians. Everything we need to know is all right there for us, but it can be very intimidating reading the bible and it is not always understandable.
Before we begin each lesson we will start with prayer. Prayer does a few things for us, first of all it makes us stop and actually slow down for a minute. Then by faith we can enter into the Holy Sanctuary of God and present our request to him.
(I will explain how this came about in future lessons)
I pray this kind of prayer before I do any kind of study as I trust that God will truly open up my eyes to know and see and understand his word the bible. We are wanting God to ignite our passion for him and his ways and his word.
We want to have our hearts (which is our spirit) made aware of God and his Holy Spirit in our lives. We want to understand and live out the text that we are reading. So the best place to start is with God himself.
You have to know something, that God actually wants to have a relationship with you even more than you want it. Hard to believe but it is the truth. We will discover more about that in future lessons.
Ok, so now that you know the reason for praying before starting your lessons, I encourage you to do this every time you pick up your bible.
For right now; lets take a few moments and ask our heavenly father to help us study his word and understand it. If you are comfortable saying your own prayers, I encourage you to do so, if you would like to pray what I have written please feel free.
Dear Heavenly father
Today as I come before you today, in faith I ask for your will to be done, I want to know you deeper than ever before, help me as I study your word, to understand and see what it is you are trying to teach me. I pray that you will give me a teachable spirit today, and that you will ignite my passion to know you more. Thank you Heavenly father/Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 1: 17-23
- 17. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
- 18. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
- 19. and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength,
- 20. which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,
- 21. far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
- 22. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,
- 23. which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
- Related Blogs on Discipleship 1
Filed under: Discipleship