Wives are told by God to respect their husbands.
What does that mean for us as Christian women? What does that look like in a family? How do I implement it in my life? Why does it seem so hard to do sometimes?
These questions and many more I have asked myself over the 17 years of being married to my Husband. What does my side of the marriage partnership really supposed to look like and how can I implement it into my life. I want to make a quick disclaimer here and say, that I have by no means being able to always have these next points that I am about to write; work perfectly in my life.
I realize and recognize that I am a sinful human being, that has been called by God, and saved by Him and therefore I have been given righteousness and salvation.
I have also been given the gift of His Holy Spirit, which enables me to act and behave way better than I did before He came and set up residence in my Life. I have also being shown by God, that he has given me the gift of repentance, so that when I mess up and He shows me where I have been at fault, if I come to Him and repent, He will forgive me and restore me back into right standing with Him.
Repentance – 1 John 1: 8-10
8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.
I believe that I have been given some insight as to how God wants me to respect my husband, so as I share this with you know that we all walk on this road together in figuring out what God wants for us, His Daughters.
The following list is by no means an exhaustive list of ways to respect your husband, and if you have found other ways of showing that respect to your husband please share it with us so that we may be encouraged and built up together. That our families would grow strong and that we as daughters of the Most High God will walk in love and dignity.
To show Respect to your husband, takes a choice on your side, you may have many excuses as to why you shouldn’t or couldn’t or won’t, but God tells us to do so. We have to choose every day to show our husbands respect.
Notice that I have not mentioned your husband’s responsibility in “Acting in a way that would make you want to respect him” No, we are responsible to God for our own actions, our own attitudes and our own motives of our heart.
Therefore these next points deal solely with us as woman. What our responsibility is! God is responsible for your husband, you are not. Your Husband is responsible to God for how he treats you. You are not.
If you find yourself in a situation where it is extremely hard to show respect to your husband due to any kind of abuse that he is inflicting on you, please go and seek good counsel for your marriage and other issues. Hang on to God and he will most certainly see you through it as well.
Ok, so here is the list of things that I believe that God has shown me in connection with how my attitude should look towards my husband:
- As a wife, I need to have a personal relationship with my Heavenly Father,
- I need to seek God’s will for my life,
- I need to ask the Holy Spirit to come in to my heart and set up residence.
- I need to be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to teach, correct and lead me into the truth of God’s word.
- This will enable me to know and live a life of love and respect, both for myself and my husband.
- I need to ask God to help me to guard my heart, mouth and mind.
- I need to remember that if I do not guard these things, and I allow the enemy to enter destructive thoughts into my mind, I will be more apt to spew them out of my mouth.
- I need to watch what comes out of my mouth when I speak to him,
- Am I speaking life into him or death over him?
- I need to be prepared to build him up and not drag him down. (remembering always, that words sting, they destroy, and they inflict damage for much longer than what we ever anticipated that they would)
- I need to not bad mouth him in front of other people,
- I need to not gossip about him to my friends
- I need to not make him look like a fool in front of other people, by my words and attitude towards him.
Thank you for taking the time to read through this list. I believe that through Christ Jesus we can put these things into practice in our lives. We can walk victoriously in our marriage and we can look more and more like Christ both on the inside and the outside.
Filed under: Discipleship